I don’t know what the weather has been like where you live, but it has been cold and foggy here. When the weather is gray and I can’t get warm, all I want is comfort food, a warm blanket, and a good book!
Last week I threw together this creamy chicken soup for the crock pot. It’s super easy, using basic ingredients you can find at any Walmart. It smells great while it’s cooking all day, and this soup definitely counts as comfort food! It’s also low carb, gluten-free, and full of healthy ingredients like garlic and spinach to help you ward off winter illness.
The cream in the soup gives it the smoothness I crave in comfort food, without making it so thick that it irritates the throat of someone who is sick with a cold or the flu.
Share the Blessing of Creamy Chicken Soup
One of the things I love most about slow cooker soup is that it’s company ready. You could double the recipe and put the soup on in the morning.
Then invite friends over to play in the snow. Or hunt for the perfect Christmas tree. Or go ice skating. Then come home to a simple soup supper that’s already waiting for you.
Another idea is to host a winter soup night. Have everyone bring their favorite soup and enjoy tasting the variety. Make sure to supply plenty of small bowls (disposable cups work great for easy cleanup), and encourage everyone to sample more than one soup.
If time allows, grab some blankets, put on a movie, and enjoy the cold weather from the warmth of your home!
Ready to get cooking? Great!
Low Carb Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe
This comforting Crock Pot Creamy Chicken Soup recipe contains 10 carbs and two grams of fiber for a total of 8 net carbs per serving.
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 handfuls of spinach leaves
- Cook and shred three chicken breasts.
- Add chicken, onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, chicken broth, thyme, parsley, and vanilla to the crock pot. Cook on low 8 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, add cream. Stir to combine and continue cooking until soup is heated through.
- Right before serving, stir in two big handfuls of spinach leaves (I used the bagged kind). Serve immediately.
Want more soup recipes? You’ve come to the right place!
- Low Carb & Gluten Free Slow Cooker Pumpkin Chili
- Slow Cooker Mock Loaded Baked Potato Soup (Low Carb & Gluten Free)
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Curry Soup
Edited to add nutrition information from MyFitnessPal.com.