Do you ever get tired of the same old thing for dinner? I know I tend to get into a dinner rut. The other day I was at our local butcher shop, and I saw some ground elk meat.
Now, I’ve never cooked elk before, but I thought, “Why not?” Sometimes you need to live on the edge, you know?
Elk burgers are different, but still easy enough to make for a quick summer meal.
I did some research on the interwebz and got to work. And do you know what? These elk burgers turned out great! Even my picky eleven year old devoured his!
The key to working with ground elk is to keep handling to a minimum. Think of it like pie crust. If you over handle a pie crust, it turns out hard, rather than flaky. Apparently, if you over handle elk meat the burgers come out kind of dry.
Another tip for working with elk is to add something fatty to the burger mix. Elk meat is leaner than ground beef, so sometimes it needs a little help in the fat department. I added sharp cheddar cheese to my burgers with great results.
Finally, if you want to wow your barbecue guests, top your elk burgers with something delicious. I used sauteed mushrooms, and both the mushrooms and the burgers disappeared quickly.
To make this a low-carb meal, just omit the bun. That’s what I did to make this dinner diabetic friendly.
Serve alongside fresh fruit and vegetables for a simple, yet interesting meal.
- 2 lbs. ground elk meat
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Hamburger buns
- 1 package sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Butter (optional)
- Condiments of your choice
- Gently mix all ingredients together. Try not to handle the meat too much.
- Shape into patties. Grill over medium heat 15-20 minutes or until done to your liking. Let sit for a couple of minutes before serving.
- While burgers are grilling, saute sliced mushrooms on the stove.
- Serve on hamburger buns, topped with sauteed mushrooms or other condiments of your choice.
This post is linked at Family Fun Friday, Kitchen Fun & Crafty Friday, Bacon Time with the Hungry Hypo, Weekend Potluck, Adorned from Above, Wonderful Wednesday, What I Learned Wednesday, We Did It Wednesday, A Little Bird Told Me, Wednesday Whatsits, Wake Up Wednesday, Lovely Ladies Linky, Pintastic Pinteresting Party, and Best DIY Projects & Recipes.