It’s beginning to feel a lot like summer!
I don’t know about where you live, but the temperatures around here have hit 90° a few times already. That’s way too hot to use the oven!
This time of year I always try to find dinner recipes that are light, quick to prepare, and don’t use a lot of heat.
If the kids like the recipe, that’s a bonus.
This recipe for Asian Lettuce Wraps hit all of my requirements. And the kids loved them!
Choose Healthy Ingredients for Healthy Kids
The other day I was shopping at Walmart, and I saw an employee stocking Simple Creations Organic Ground Beef. I asked about it, and she told me it’s only been in stores for a week or two!
This beef is 100% grass fed with no added hormones or antibiotics. That’s something I can feed my kids with confidence. It’s only $5.98 a pound (a good price around here), and the ground beef is even from my home state of Oregon! Bonus!
Of course, I bought some to use in my Asian Lettuce Wraps.
The thing I love about Asian Lettuce Wraps is that they are easy to load up with veggies! I bought baby romaine lettuce for wrapping, and onions, green onions, and organic carrots to add to the mixture.
Quick, Easy, and Oh So Yummy!
Ingredient prep for Asian Lettuce Wraps only takes 20 minutes or so, and most of the chopping can be done ahead of time to make for a super quick meal at the end of the day.
15 minutes on the stove is all it takes to make the meat mixture, so you really won’t heat up the kitchen at all. And the cool, crisp lettuce against the warm meat mixture makes the meal seem light and refreshing on a hot summer night.
Ready for the recipe? You’re going to be glad you tried this one!
Asian Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- 16 baby romain lettuce leaves
- 1 lb. organic grass fed ground beef (I used Simple Creations from Walmart)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 TBSP garlic infused rice wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce
- 1 8-oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- Additional sweet chili sauce for serving.
- Rinse lettuce leaves and pat dry. Arrange on platter
- In a nonstick skillet brown ground beef. Remove to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, sauté onion until slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Add ginger during last minute.
- Add hoisin sauce, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, and sweet chili sauce to onions. Stir to mix.
- Add water chestnuts, green onions, sesame oil, and ground beef to skillet. Heat until warm, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture into lettuce cups. Top with shredded carrots. Serve with additional sweet chili pepper sauce.
Looking for more kid-friendly recipes? Check these out!
- Space Adventures Pasta Salad
- Low-Carb Peach Ice Cream (They won’t know there’s no sugar!)
- Quinoa Corn Salsa over Plantain Chips
This post is linked at Tasty Tuesday.